Schreiber-Bogen Card Modelling Fortress Hohensalzburg

Item number 726

Item ID 726

${ $ }

* Incl. VAT excl. Shipping

Schreiber-Bogen Card Modelling Fortress Hohensalzburg

As the name says, the Fortress Hohensalzburg (literally “High Salzburg”) is situated above the Austrian town of Salzburg. It is one of the largest remaining castle complexes in Europe and was built in the 11th century. It is considered to be a symbol for the demonstration of power of the Prince-Archbishops of Salzburg. The aim of this complex was to protect the principality and the archbishops from attacks. In the year 1077 a first fortification was built on a steep rock above the town of Salzburg. One of the reasons for this was the Investiture Controversy between the German Emperor Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII, whom the Archdiocese of Salzburg had sided with. After the then Archbishop Gebhard has gone into exile in the year 1085, further building projects on the Hohensalzburg were completed. All that remains of the original fortification today are the Romanesque great hall and the keep.
The castle was expanded considerably in the middle of the 15th century. Four round towers were added to strengthen the curtain walls. Also in the 15th century, on the south side of the castle the Archbishop had a bastion built which was secured by walls which were 3 metres thick as a protection against protesting citizens. It was here that the Archbishop resided for a whole year until his resignation.
Due to the mining which was flourishing in the Tauern Mountains, many buildings were constructed in the late Gothic style at the beginning of the 16th century. Prince-Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach had his coat of arms depicting a turnip placed on these buildings, as he was responsible for their construction. He also had the existing towers raised and had a cistern installed. Altogether he added 58 new elements to the castle complex.
In the 17th century, Archbishop von Küenburg had a bastion built on the north side as protection against attacks from the Ottoman army. This bastion still bears his name.
An organ in the Kraut Tower was meant to remind the citizens of Salzburg when to start work every day. This organ is called the “Salzburg Bull” after a legend from the middle of the 16th century when the castle was under siege. According to this legend, the castle was besieged by peasants in order to starve out the bishop and his retinue. When all the provisions had been used up with the exception of a bull, those who were being besieged had an idea how they could be saved: every day they painted the bull a different colour and led it round the castle in order to deceive the besiegers. As a result, the peasants were daunted and ended the siege.
At the beginning of the 19th century the fortification became less important and during the Napoleonic Wars surrendered to the French army without a fight. With the end of the reign of the Prince-Archdiocese, the Land of Salzburg was incorporated into the Habsburg monarchy. The fortress served as a prison and barracks until 1861. Since then the Hohensalzburg has been opened to the public. Around 1900 the construction of the funicular railway was begun and this made it easier for the tourists to reach the fortress. Up to the present day, the Fortress Hohensalzburg is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Austria.


Length: 55 cm

Width: 28 cm

Height: 17 cm


Difficulty: 3

Sheets: 12

Scale: 1:400